Skip to main content

Gluten and Dairy Free Energy Balls

So my first gegan recipe turned out to be not so gegan. I hate to disappoint so early on but I was far too keen to make them, after going out and buying dates, that only honey could solve the debacle that was our house's maple syrup shortage. 

Oh well, this is a trial and next time I shall do better. So here are the gluten and dairy free energy balls. 
Not to slide in a little self promo, as to be completely honest I only post on there to give myself food ideas, but I have an Instagram for my veggie and gluten free meals that I make. Any nice breakfasts or snacks that I make are posted on there and well here's a little insight to it. 

I am debating whether to do more food ideas on this blog- well I mean let's not get too keen yet we shall see how this one goes first.






Okay let's start this recipe. It is relatively simple, and this is coming from someone whose forte is smoothie bowls, so you have no reason to fear.

To get this started you should gather your ingredients. There aren't many so you shouldn't get too confused.

1 cup of dates (pitted of course)
1 cup of cocoa powder
1 cup of cashew nuts, or you can use pecans
1/2 a cup of maple syrup (but I used honey as a substitute in this recipe)

Step 1. Get your cup of cashews and put them in a food processer. Pulse them then blend until they are in much smaller pieces broken up. 



Step 2. Add in the cup of dates and follow the same process of breaking them up into smaller pieces by blending them. 

 Step 3. Follow the same process, blending in the cocoa powder.


Step 4. And then the honey. At this point it should then make a thick mixture that you are able to roll into balls. 

Step 5. Roll bits of the mixture into balls, using cocoa powder to dust them and prevent them from being too sticky and not keeping their shape. Then to keep them from being too sticky or melted I put them in the fridge over night. 

Voila.
They are so beyond yummy and taste like little truffles to me. Surprisingly filling as a snack as well and super fibrous because of the dates and full of protein from the cashew nuts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion. I am sure this is a term you are familiar with, it is practically everywhere at the moment. The push for urgent action against the climate crisis is huge right now. Whether it be about eating less meat, planting more trees, or boycotting online fashion retailers, protesters like the 'Extinction Rebellion' have done it all. Fast fashion is a major contributor to this. This is a term referring to the way that we buy, consume and waste clothes at such a high speed now. This means more seasons, cheaper clothes, easily accessible. This is partly due to the 'youth quake' of the 60's and the evolution of haute couture, to high-street fashion to online retailers. The escalation of mass-production and huge amounts of pollution follow after that. The facts are pretty shocking. Fashion is the second biggest polluter in the world, second to oil. The fashion industry emits 5% of the global emissions, trumping both air travel and international shipping

Geganism?

Earlier this week I was at a birthday party for a family friend and ended up having the most interesting conversation about geganism. You are most likely asking: what is geganism? The most specific diet ever? Most probably. Though does it sound amazing? Yes. I always wanted to be vegan, for those who don't know, I haven't eaten meat for nearly two years now- though I eat fish, is that cheating? Anyways. When I initially was completely inspired by the documentary 'Cowspiracy'- if you haven't watched it, WATCH IT- it made me want to go vegan. I tried that for all of about two weeks and failed. It is just as hard as you think. Well it was at the time, I am not so sure about that now. Even in my town centre alone there are five vegan restaurants at least that I can name and I have tried several of them. I have not struggled with finding veggie options with the abundance of products in the vegetarian aisle. Believe it or not, veggie food is delicious- and I will