Skip to main content

My View on Influencers


‘Influencers’. Possibly the most millennial concept we have yet to create.

Whether it be on ‘Instagram’, ‘Youtube’ or other social media platforms, there is no denying that the reach people with a large enough following can have would have seemed unfathomable no less than ten years ago.

Though, don’t mistake me for being totally negative towards these influencers. I do believe that a lot of them have used their platform for positive change. Many have brought awareness to a lot of issues that they may be passionate about such as mental health or they may offer their advice. Influencers play key roles in brand image as well and are awfully helpful when it comes to events, do not get me wrong. They are the new age celebrities and role models for young people. Though, like other celebrity figures such as actors or musicians, you get good and bad role models.

In case you are unaware and have been away from any source of Internet from the past few years and are unsure of what influencers are, here you have it. They can be defined as figures who have a large number of followers or subscribers on their social media platforms and use them to promote brands and products, to make money through sponsorships, or to bring awareness to issues they feel are pressing. Whether it be through video content on ‘Youtube’ or pictures on ‘Instagram’, they are everywhere.


As I mentioned before, this online presence and audience can be hugely helpful to brands. Though my concern is more focused on the impact that ‘Instagram’ figures can have on viewers’ self-esteem. I refrained from using the term ‘young’ when describing the viewers as I think it would be a mistake to suggest that only impressionable teenagers are affected.

I am 17, I would not class myself as young but neither old. I wouldn’t say I am still predominantly impressionable either, but I too find myself overwhelmed with this Instagram world and those a part of it. I recently unfollowed a lot of these models, much due to the complaints from my best friend.

She had a good point.


 The more people you are comparing yourself to the worse you are going to feel. It is hard enough having to grow up, manage your own body and thoughts, and compare yourself to those around you. They may be slimmer than you, have a bigger bum than you, or go on holiday four times a year and so on. The list is absolutely endless. But it only really starts to get lengthy, when all you are scrolling past is people jetting off to Bali or posing on a yacht in St Tropez looking toned and wonderful.

How can you make a fair comparison of their highlights reel whilst you are checking your feed in bed, hair in a top-knot, and just waking up? Not accurately me thinks.


It is not fair that we put ourselves through this, yet we never fail to. Like reading this now, you are fully aware that influencers are only posting their favourite pictures, from their best angles, looking their best in that moment and are probably uploading it from the comfort of their bed. Are you still going to look at it and feel poop about yourself? Absolutely.


Would you post a photo that you felt that you looked horrid in? I think not. If anything, influencers may feel that they have even more expectations to live up to. Followers that have this image of them, and belief that they look their best 24/7. They are normal people. Yes, they bloat. Yes, they have bad skin days. Yes, they have insecurities.


It is about time we all stop being so toxic to ourselves. I for one have struggled a lot with this. I have this unrealistic idea that I am the only one whose weight fluctuates naturally and that I bloat some days more than others. It happens to everyone and we need to normalise this. We need to normalise diversity and that the body has natural processes. You will not always look the same. It took me a walk down the promenade by beach with my Mum on some average Saturday afternoon to realise it. I had been being particularly harsh on myself as of that week, and it was only until I saw normal people all at the beach enjoying themselves, looking-you know- NORMAL, that I made the absolute revelation that not everyone looks like these influencers. That the majority of people are not what you are constantly fed on ‘Instagram’. Not everyone perches posed at the beach as they would in a photo. Wow. More people need to see this so that they can sift through the critical thoughts in their head and can instead counteract the toxicity with the knowledge that to have this expectation of yourself is unfair. People are living real lives, these ‘influencers’ are living real lives. Though I am not going to sugar-coat it and make this post seem life-changing and that knowing all of this will make your mindset do a 360 turn, but it can be a start. I know it is in no way easy. It is easy for me to say all of this, but do I even still self-criticise? Yes. Recognising the thoughts when you are being harsh on yourself is a starting point.



Unfollow people who make you feel less than. Do not feed these thoughts. Realise that your life is your own- you have your own highlights reel.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geganism?

Earlier this week I was at a birthday party for a family friend and ended up having the most interesting conversation about geganism. You are most likely asking: what is geganism? The most specific diet ever? Most probably. Though does it sound amazing? Yes. I always wanted to be vegan, for those who don't know, I haven't eaten meat for nearly two years now- though I eat fish, is that cheating? Anyways. When I initially was completely inspired by the documentary 'Cowspiracy'- if you haven't watched it, WATCH IT- it made me want to go vegan. I tried that for all of about two weeks and failed. It is just as hard as you think. Well it was at the time, I am not so sure about that now. Even in my town centre alone there are five vegan restaurants at least that I can name and I have tried several of them. I have not struggled with finding veggie options with the abundance of products in the vegetarian aisle. Believe it or not, veggie food is delicious- and I will

Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion. I am sure this is a term you are familiar with, it is practically everywhere at the moment. The push for urgent action against the climate crisis is huge right now. Whether it be about eating less meat, planting more trees, or boycotting online fashion retailers, protesters like the 'Extinction Rebellion' have done it all. Fast fashion is a major contributor to this. This is a term referring to the way that we buy, consume and waste clothes at such a high speed now. This means more seasons, cheaper clothes, easily accessible. This is partly due to the 'youth quake' of the 60's and the evolution of haute couture, to high-street fashion to online retailers. The escalation of mass-production and huge amounts of pollution follow after that. The facts are pretty shocking. Fashion is the second biggest polluter in the world, second to oil. The fashion industry emits 5% of the global emissions, trumping both air travel and international shipping

Gluten and Dairy Free Energy Balls

So my first gegan recipe turned out to be not so gegan. I hate to disappoint so early on but I was far too keen to make them, after going out and buying dates, that only honey could solve the debacle that was our house's maple syrup shortage.  Oh well, this is a trial and next time I shall do better. So here are the gluten and dairy free energy balls.  Not to slide in a little self promo, as to be completely honest I only post on there to give myself food ideas, but I have an Instagram for my veggie and gluten free meals that I make. Any nice breakfasts or snacks that I make are posted on there and well here's a little insight to it.  I am debating whether to do more food ideas on this blog- well I mean let's not get too keen yet we shall see how this one goes first. Okay let's start this recipe. It is relatively simple, and this is coming from someone whose forte is smoothie bowls, so you have no reason to fear. To get this started you sh